Monday, December 8, 2008

My Grandma

My grandma died a couple hours ago. We knew it was coming. My grandpa died a while back and since then she hasn't been in the best of health. She just moved in with my uncle's family a couple months ago. She had a stroke last week and never regained consciousness. She's an awesome woman. I haven't seen her for some time. Now that we have kids it's more difficult to get everyone on a plane somewhere. I regret that we never took our youngest to see her. I don't know that the girls remember her either. The things I remember best are her smile and chuckling laugh.

There are eight grandchildren between my dad and uncle, interspaced about a year apart. When each of us was eight grandma and grandpa would have us come to stay with them for a week. It was a pretty memorable experience for me. It was strange and I was unsure, but I got to see a lot of what their life was like. Other than that we usually only saw them during the holidays for a few days and that was in large groups so there wasn't much one on one time. Those week long visits were a great idea. I'd like to do that with my own grandchildren.

She's not having a funeral, choosing only to have a small group join at her grave to say goodbye. The details aren't set yet, but I'm planning to go. I won't be able to bring Rebin and the kids, but I don't think they would really understand yet. Sunni is still internalizing the death of our dog Bubble. I'll go and say goodbye for all of us. She won't really be gone, I know. I guess it's more about being there to show we remember and love her.

No comments: